Unconventional Students at Rice 2019: Miranda Morris paints her mark and message at Rice

When she got to Rice, Miranda Morris had to decide what she wanted to create and what kind of mark she wanted to make. “It was really freeing and also intimidating to be faced with this question,” she said.

Through her creations at Rice, Morris found her message and voice. “Rice has given me my communities, through my college and my majors,” she said. “I’ve grown passionate about growing communities, too, through Camp Kesem Rice.”

A student-run nonprofit, Camp Kesem provides children who have a parent with cancer with a free summer camp and yearlong support. “I’m excited to continue building communities of healing and support next year in medical school and beyond.”

A visual and dramatic arts and policy studies major, Morris sees herself integrating art and humanities into her medical work in the future. “I’m interested in putting artwork into hospitals and clinical spaces and doing integrated research at the intersection of art and medicine and how creativity can be a part of the healing process,” she said.

About Brandon Martin

Greetings, I am a video producer at Rice University in the Office of Public Affairs. I became a Rice Owl in June 2011. Before that, I was at KPRC-TV in Houston as a special projects photojournalist for seven years, where I covered everything from hurricanes to sports. Southeast Texas has been my home my entire life. I am lucky to have a wonderful wife and two of the cutest girls I have ever seen. Go Owls!